How many roles are you playing in your life?
Usually, we all have many… to name only a few:
- You are a mother/father: with all the different activities, challenges, joys that come with it
- You have a role to play in your working life, be it at home or outside of your home
- You are a human being with its own needs and dreams
- You are a daughter or son dealing with all sorts of issues
- You are for sure also a partner, spouse, friend, sister, brother or many of these at the same time
All of these roles require your attention, your energy and commitment; sometimes it is difficult to switch from one to the other and/or to combine some of them at the same time. You might feel stretched to your limits, having not enough time to rest and for yourself leading to becoming irritable and stressed. There might be moments of doubts: “Am I a good father or mother? Or “All other spouses are surely doing a better job than myself”.
Feeling overwhelmed yourself very often leads to less patience: with your children, partner and other people surrounding you and of course with yourself. You react upon triggers not being able to calmly approach problems and challenges.
- How about learning to cope with daily stress by learning how to introduce “brain breaks” into your daily routine, re-discovering your creativity and capacity of resilience?
Becoming familiar with and practicing mindfulness techniques is a skill that will help you deal with the stresses, uncertainty and complexity of life in the 21st century. By being more mindful yourself, you will also see that your relationships will change. They will unconsciously feel the change and respond to it with their own nervous system!
Of course you will still wear the same hats as you did before, but you will be able to remain yourself, non-judgmental and less prone to being hijacked by your own emotions, feelings and body sensations.
“We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize.” – Thích Nhất Hạnh